Video explains “the most widely misunderstood story in America”

Nearly 700 people had already been burned by the coffee at McDonald’s when an elderly woman “won the lottery” with 2nd and 3rd degree burns from a 190-degree cup of coffee. The New York Times revisits the famous lawsuit in this short video about the court case that became a punchline for jokes about injury lawyers… Learn More »

The most important thing you can do for your family today

It’s very simple. Check your smoke detectors. Let the recent spate of home fires in Oregon and Washington remind you to take this one simple step for the safety of your home and family. A Milwaukie family lost everything in a fire that decimated their home. The Clackamas fire department said the family’s lives were… Learn More »

Thousands of Children Burned by Batteries

There is an alarming rise in the number of children ingesting lithium batteries: injuries and deaths from the “button” batteries affected more than 3,400 children last year. The batteries, which are increasingly common and used in remote controls, thermometers, calculators, musical greeting cards, scales, toothbrushes and toys, cause internal burns in the esophagus and throat.… Learn More »

Patient Risks in Non-surgical Cosmetic Procedures

Everyone knows, or should know, that there is risk inherent in any surgical procedure. It seems that fewer people are aware of the risks in non-surgical cosmetic procedures like Botulinum Toxin (Botox) injections or laser treatments. People who wouldn’t consider a traditional face lift – which can leave patients with permanent scarring and damage, and… Learn More »

Safety Tips for Outdoor Grilling

Summer is the best time of year to live in the Northwest: the sun is out and the weather is perfect for outdoor grilling with family and friends. Unfortunately, too often we hear of a serious burn or other injury that could have been avoided; these tragedies are a good reminder to practice basic grill… Learn More »

The Real Story Behind the Infamous McDonald’s Products Liability Case

In 1992 Stella Liebeck spilled scorching hot McDonald’s coffee on her lap while pulling out of a drive-thru in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She suffered severe burns and sued the company for serving a dangerous product.  It’s one of the most talked about personal injury cases in recent memory.  Even with all the publicity surrounding the… Learn More »

Child Eye Safety Tips for the Holidays

As a followup to our blog post on holiday toy safety, we want to share a link to a blog post on EyeDocNews, a leading eyecare news website, listing eye safety tips for children during the holidays. The eye safety tips, published by Bausch + Lomb's Early Vision Institute, advise parents to remain alert for the… Learn More »

Dental Handpieces May Cause Patient Burns

Late last month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an alert to healthcare professionals and dental organizations concerning patient burns from dental handpieces. These devices are AC-powered hand-held devices used to prepare dental cavities for restorations, such as fillings, and for cleaning teeth. The patient burns from dental handpieces reported ranged from first degree burns to… Learn More »

How to Avoid Causing a Fire at a Gas Pump From Static Electricity

I recently viewed a documentary on TV reporting on how motorists are unwittingly sparking fires at gas pumps with static electricity. Among other tragic incidents, a woman lost her life while pumping gas at a station near Tulsa, Oklahoma, when static electricity that she generated sparked a blaze that went out of control. As explained by… Learn More »

Consumer Product Safety Commission Urges Consumers to Keep Safety in Mind When Decorating for the Holidays

Provides safety tips to avoid injury such as burns when decorating for the holidays