DMV Accident Reports

Each state has different rules about when a Department of Motor Vehicles Accident or Report form is needed. Check the requirements of the state where your accident occurred to assure you are in compliance with the local rules.

Remember to keep a copy of the form for your own records.


Oregon Accident Report Form
You must file an Oregon Accident and Insurance Report with DMV within 72 hours when:

  • Damage to the vehicle you were driving is over $1,500
  • Damage to any vehicle is over $1,500,  and any vehicle is towed from the scene
  • Injury or death resulted from this accident
  • Damages to any one person´s property other than a vehicle involved in this accident is over $1,500.

You must file a report even if it was a single car accident. If you do not report an accident when required to do so, your driving privileges will be suspended. You must fill out an Accident and Insurance Report form and return it to DMV even if a police officer files a report.

A police report does not replace your requirement to file an accident report with the DMV.



Washington Collision Reporting
You are NOT required to complete a Washington collision report if a law enforcement officer investigates the collision. The investigating officer will file the collision report. However, you always have the option of filing a report.

You ARE required to complete a collision report when no law enforcement officer investigates the collision. Each driver involved in the collision must submit a report within 4 days of the collision. You can get blank motor vehicle collision report forms from your local police department, county sheriff’s office, or Washington State Patrol detachment.



California Accident Report Form
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident in California, you must report it to the DMV if:

  • There was property damage of more than $750
  • Anyone was injured (no matter how minor)
  • Anyone was killed

Each driver must make a report to the DMV within 10 days, whether you caused the accident or not,  and even if the accident occurred on private property. Mail the completed report form to the address on the form.



Contact us for a free case evaluation by one of our experienced personal injury attorneys.